23 Live Chat Stats You Need to Know
Customer service used to conjure up images of representatives with headsets or overflowing email inboxes. At that time, live chat was a “nice to have” channel, but alongside email, it is now the digital channel customers prefer the most. According to our recent survey, 83% of your customers expect clear communication when they’re dealing with your business online. With COVID-19 accelerating the digital transformation of many ecommerce businesses, taking a closer look at live chat will help you keep up with digital consumer expectations.
Let’s explore 23 live chat stats you need to know this year:
Live chat is the new digital norm
- 51% of consumers prefer to interact with your business through chat or email and only 8% prefer bots.
- 67% of B2C businesses use live chat for customer support.
- 74% of B2C and 85% of B2B utilize live chat for sales.
- 31% of B2C and 54% of B2B companies use live chat for marketing to have more compelling conversations with their customers.
- Live chat is expected to continue to grow by as much as 87% in the next 12-18 months.
Live chat leads to higher customer satisfaction
- 79% of customers say that they prefer to live chat because of the immediacy it provides.
- 62% of customers expect live chat to be available on mobile devices, and if possible, 82% would use it.
- Live chat has a 87% customer satisfaction rate.
- 44% of online consumers say that having questions answered by a live person during an online purchase is one of the most important features a website can offer.
- More than 41% of customers expect live chat on your website. For customers that visit your website on a mobile device, this number is as high as 50%.
Live chat builds loyalty
- 38% of consumers are more likely to buy from a company if they offer live chat support.
- 63% of customers are more likely to return to a website that offers live chat.
- 79% of businesses say that implementing live chat resulted in increased customer loyalty, sales, and revenue.
- 73% of customers say that valuing their time is the most important thing companies can do to provide them with good customer service.
- 43% of companies say they had a better understanding of their customers within a year of using live chat.
- 35% of customers indicate they would not have purchased if live chat was not offered.
Live chat increases revenue
- Live chat increases online conversions by 6.25%.
- Website visitors that engage with your company via live chat are worth 5 times more than visitors that don’t.
- There is a 10% increase in average order value from customers who engaged in a chat before making a purchase compared to those that did not use chat.
- Businesses who utilize live chat have a 4x greater annual increase in cross-sell and up-sell revenue.
- 53% of customers are likely to abandon their online purchases if they can’t find quick answers to their questions.
- 30% of customers engage with proactive chat, generating 40% of revenue.
- Live chat costs 15% to 33% less than phone support and chat agents are up to 2.5x more effective.
As more business is conducted online and your customers’ expectations transform, live chat provides an incredible opportunity to understand them better, serve them more efficiently, and build long-lasting loyalty. Live chat is revolutionizing B2C communication in the digital era.