4 Reasons Contact Deflection Spells Customer Success

Contact deflection is about getting ahead of the question. It’s about anticipating your customers’ needs before they get stuck in the digital journey and enabling your contact centers to focus on high-value inquiries. Deflecting contacts continues to be a top priority for digital brands, but the words themselves can conjure a negative connotation of one-sided business benefits.

The truth is, contact deflection spells success for your customers, too. By deflecting their contact, you’re empowering them to self-serve or better yet, you’re answering their question before they even realize they had one.

It’s time to redefine contact deflection as a win-win for businesses and customers alike. Technologies like Contextual Guidance can help you provide the kind of automated self-service that meets your customers’ needs. Proactively providing relevant advice as it’s needed makes support requests for basic, common issues unnecessary, and eases the burden on the call center. It also leaves your customers to easily access important information, complete transactions, and manage their lives.

Here are four ways contact deflection spells customer success:

1. Consumers don’t want to reach out to you

Did you know that two-thirds of customers say the most important thing a company can do to provide good service is to value their time? Self-service options for your customers are no longer “nice to haves”. It’s key to providing a positive digital experience because your customers expect your website to have a self-service application.

Studies consistently show that customers prefer self-service over chat, email, and phone calls. When your customers encounter friction online, only 1% of the determined ones will reach out by emailing, chatting, or calling your business. The other 99% will abandon your site to shop with a competitor.

Contact deflection with proactive guidance and self-service enables you to efficiently and cost-effectively engage with a larger portion of your customer base.

2. Contact deflection has made big strides

Previously, self-service experiences forced customers to search for information, compare options, navigate processes for applications and purchases solo. This lack of guidance left customers frustrated and customer service representatives swimming in inquiries.

Recent advancements in customer service AI give you the ability to pinpoint exactly where your customers’ struggle is happening and take critical steps to proactively guide customers eliminating that struggle. This kind of contact deflection supports your customers through the self-service journey with the information they need exactly where and when they need it.

3. Contact deflection shouldn’t replace customer support channels entirely

Don’t get us wrong … not all contacts can or should be deflected. You should encourage self-service and offer guidance for basic, repetitive questions. This frees your support agents to assist with complex, high-touch matters.

You can win customer loyalty by removing friction with timely, effective, and proactive communication that answers your customers’ questions, and having customer service team members available for customer issues that truly require human intervention.

4. Customer experience is defining business success like never before

With companies spending millions of dollars each year to drive traffic to their websites, it only makes sense to invest in the customer experience that traffic will encounter when they land on that website.

It’s never been more important to understand and optimize the customer experience. One way to create and sustain customer satisfaction is to anticipate friction and proactively solve it before it creates barriers to success. Meet accelerated digital expectations by creating a seamless customer experience–it’s the differentiator for successful brands across industries.